Evaluation of the Project “Local civil society contributes to economic and social development of the country”
In 2018 EEF launched the project “Local civil society contributes to economic and social development of the country”, financially supported by the European Union and co-funded by Sweden.
The overall objective of the action is to contribute to the sustainable economic and social development in Moldova through active involvement of civil society and other socio-economic actors with due consideration of Association Agreement and DCFTA.
Expected Results are the following:
(R1.1) National Policies on Labor are inclusive and offer opportunities to the most excluded social groups (youth, women, older, Roma, vulnerable)
(R1.2) At least 5 local partnerships for inclusive marketplace developed in the regions of Moldova to test services on various categories excluded from Labor Market
(R1.3) Evidence based analysis conducted and corresponding advocacy interventions initiated for life-long learning and adult education
(R2.1) At least 6 Regional Business Support Hubs created and operating in the regions, offering technical and financial support to SMEs all over the country;
(R2.2) At least 120 SMEs supported by Regional Business Support Hubs;
(R2.3) At least 15 inclusive social enterprises created by CSOs all over the country;
(R2.4) At least 10 regional youth-led entrepreneurships funds (www.youthbank.md) supported in developing and sustaining their own fund, which will support at least 50 entrepreneurship ideas of young people;
(R3.1) At least 50 potentially exporting companies throughout the country scanned for export readiness and benefit of training, coaching and support to access EU markets in order to enhance their export capacities;
(R3.2) At least 6 selected SMEs offered full export-oriented support to ensure management culture, product quality assurance, accessing finances and representation abroad;
(R3.3) At least 3 matchmaking events for beneficiary companies organized in EU countries;
(R3.4) At least 15 potential exporting farmers and food business operators have facilitated access to know-how and modern technologies;
(R4.1) A comprehensive analytical paper developed on progress towards implementation of DCFTA-related national strategies and Action Plans;
(R4.2) One analytical report and policy papers developed to address investment barriers in Moldova;
(R4.3) One nation-wide platform of local business support organizations and other CSOs created and actively advocating for a better business environment.
The total budget of the program was EUR 2,105 263, with 2 000 000 EUR contributed by the EC and EUR 105,263 by Sweden.
For more details, please see the Terms of References.
Provide EEF with a technical and professional assessment of results, achievements, key challenges and lessons learnt from the implementation of the project.
Scope of work
The review will consist of document reading, interviews and field study, debriefing meeting, as well as presentation of a review report.
The review should provide answers to the following questions:
• Assess the relevance of the supported project in the country context:
o Did the intervention respond to the needs of the target groups?
o Was the operation in line with EC development policy and strategies?
• Evaluate the efficiency of the project:
o How well was the availability and use of inputs and resources managed?
o How well were the activities implemented? How well were the outputs achieved?
o How well were the Partners involved and contributing?
• Consider the effectiveness of the project:
o How well has the operation achieved its expected outcomes?
o Was the purpose of the project achieved?
• Examine the sustainability of the project:
o What is the viability of the continuation of benefits after the end of the operation?
o What is the level of ownership of the operation by the target group and relevant stakeholders?
o Did the operation contribute to partners' capacity development?
• Assess the extent to which the project paid attention to cross-cutting issues.
o Have practical and strategic gender interests been adequately considered in the operation's strategy?
o Has democratic governance been mainstreamed in the operation?
o Did the operation actively contribute to the promotion of Human Rights?
The project evaluation shall result in written recommendations on the above-mentioned issues. In addition, the expert/review team is encouraged to include recommendations, considered to be of relevance for promoting the aim of the Project Evaluation.
Approach and method of work
The Expert/Review Team will carry out its tasks through:
• Desk review of project documents and reports;
• Discussions with the staff members and grantees;
• Interviews with partners and stakeholders;
• Field visits to selected sites;
• Consultation meetings.
It is expected that the evaluation will be conducted throughout September 2020 – October 2020 with a preliminary draft report submitted to EEF-M by November 15, 2020. The final report should be submitted to EEF-M no later than November 30, 2020.
The evaluator/evaluation team
The proposals could be submitted by individuals, teams of experts or legal entities. The evaluator/evaluation team should have relevant evaluation experience in the field of civil society development and program management. The minimum requirements include:
• Experience working in Moldova and/or other countries of the former Soviet Union is highly desirable;
• Minimum three years of related experience;
• Qualified experience working with civil society organizations (CSO);
• Working experience with international organizations and/or European Union would be an advantage;
• Excellent oral and written skills in English and Romanian.
• Knowledge of Russian language will be an asset.
• Experience of the expert(s)/legal entity in relevant fields;
• The quality and applicability of methodology proposed;
• The proposed time-frame;
• The requested price for services.
The key products expected from this evaluation are:
A. The evaluation methodology;
B. A comprehensive analytical report in English language. The report should, as a minimum, include the following contents:
• Executive summary;
• Description of the evaluation methodology;
• Analysis of the situation with regard to the outcome, the outputs, the activities, the inputs and the partnership;
• Key findings (including best practices and lessons learned)
• Conclusions and recommendations
• Annexes: field visits, people interviewed, documents reviewed, etc.
All deliverables will become the property of EEF.
The applicant should submit the following documents:
• CV reflecting the relevant experience of the applicant with at least 3 references;
• Examples of previous evaluations performed by the applicant if applicable;
• Short vision of achieving the task, including the evaluation methodology;
• A tentative timetable for preparation, field-work, analysis and finalization of the Report;
• Detailed budget for the evaluation in EUR (total price, daily fee, travel costs, communications, fees, etc.)
The deadline for submissions is 15th of August, 2020.
The application should be sent to the e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Evaluation Local civil society” in the subject line.
All questions regarding this task shall be addressed in written to Ana Ciurac, Program Officer, at email@example.com
Only selected individuals or organizations. Incomplete applications will not be considered.